I have been thinking about the influence Jesus has had, even if He was not the Son of God (which He is). I doubt very much that I will be able to come up with even the majority of things that would be different if He had never been born as only a man (not God’s Son), but here are a few.
- The modern scientific endeavor. (No Jesus -> No Christianity -> No Protestant Reformation -> No Science) Associated missing items: Television, Radio, X-ray machines, Airplanes, Cars, Vaccines, Computers, Smart Phones – Name practically any modern invention.
- Christmas. (No Jesus -> No baby Jesus, come to Earth -> No Christmas) Associated missing items: The Grinch. Christmas Trees. Christmas music. Black Friday (not that I’d miss that). Christmas movies. Christmas presents. Christmas dinner. Santa Claus.
- Easter. Even if you don’t believe that Jesus lived a sinless life, gave Himself as a sacrifice for us, and rose from the dead, there would still be an Easter which celebrates these things.
- Halloween. (No Jesus -> No Christianity -> No All Hallows Eve -> No Halloween) I don’t personally care for Halloween but maybe you or your kids like it.
- Cross jewelry. (No Jesus -> No cross on which he was crucified -> No cross jewelry)
- Hospitals. (No Jesus -> No Christians -> No hospitals) Hospitals were originally created by Christians as a way to show the love of Jesus to those who needed healthcare.
- The New Testament (No Jesus -> Nothing to document about Jesus)
I believe that Jesus was and is the Son of God. I believe that He came to Earth to experience life here as you and I do. I believe that He lived a sinless life, was executed because people feared Him and who He is, and rose from the dead to save us from our sins. So if all those things are true, consider a few more things that would be missing if there were no Jesus…
- Any hope of being forgiven for our sins. Any hope of spending eternity in paradise with Jesus. Any true joy and hope while here on this planet.
- The Universe, including all space, time, matter, and energy. (No Jesus -> No creation of the Universe -> No you and me) I could have started with this and skipped the rest, don’t you think?